Sunday 4 August 2013

Bookish Alphabet: A

This will hopefully be a little weekly segment where I highlight a book beginning with every letter of the alphabet; it could be one I've read, one that's been on my TBR for a while or one that I am looking forward to the release of. 

About A Boy by Nick Hornby
When I first started this book I wasn't quite sure what to make of it; the plot wasn't really very interesting, it just didn't seem to be going anywhere spectacular and I started to find it quite boring. It wasn't until a little further on in the book that I realised it wasn't about the storyline; it was about the deeper meaning of growing up in both adult and child senses of the word. 

About A Boy was the first book I read that focussed on emotions and life changes rather than on an overly complicated plot line, and this was a little bit disconcerting as I wasn't sure how to interpret it as a reader. After my initial confusion I found it extremely refreshing to read - the idea that Will (the adult) and Marcus (the child) still had the same amount of growing up to do was really intriguing to read about, and the character development that Hornby described throughout the book for both of them was extremely well written and believable. 

After hearing that Nick Hornby's other works like High Fidelity and Fever Pitch are better reading than this one makes me extremely excited to try some more books by him, as I was found this to be a surprisingly good read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment